Queen Victoria – red velvet
After years of searching I finally was able to purchase, for a fairly reasonable price, a set of glass faux diamonds in the exact proportions and cuts of famous historical pieces. This included the Kohinoor diamond in both original cut and adjusted cut. I created this brooch based off this portrait. For Costume college this year I finished up the gown to wear for “Dressing the Royals” Gala.
Here are the final images from Costume college:
It was my first year doing the “red carpet” and I nicknamed this gown the Red Carpet. None of my friends wanted to walk all over me luckily. I’m grateful but think it would have made for funny photos.
The working title however was actually “Red Cthulhu Gown” because of the front decoration under the brooch and sash. There are a few things I’d like to adjust before doing a final photoshoot in the studio. The lace at the center front was collapsing inwards and you can not see it from straight on photos. Also I think the entire bodice needs to be even lower on the shoulders at at center front. The sweep of the bertha on the original really curves back downwards over the shoulders and I missed that nuisance! Always room for improvements in all my work but overall I’m very happy with this gown. This velveteen was lovely to work with but hand sewing helped a lot to keep the control.
I was glad I gave Costume college http://www.costumecollege.net/ another chance and came back this year. Next years theme look really tempting so I may plan to come again.